"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Smashing through any doubt...

Breaking through not so insurmountable barriers. Photo taken by Grandpa (Ralph I), ca. 1939
I do not care for much of what I do. I offer an example of how the frustration of the job affect my thinking about said part-time job. There is another state agency (lets call it unnamed II), and one employee I needed to work with who is a non-performer according to some. This person made three (3) scheduled appointments in a three week period. with a client, and didn't show up. The job (TC) I hold is the one where we are taken to task because we are more visible, the state employees who choose not to, well, not so much.

I was advised to contact the supervisor of the offending state employee. I was only able to leave a voice-mail missive, polite but to the point. I even used the term 'unprofessional' (I was advised later to keep opinion out of it. A fine thought, but as I had had it by then, I'll try better next time. It would be nice if all government employees worked as required). A day later without a reply, I contacted the employee and left that person a voice mail missive, polite but pointed. I received a Arrrugh message later that she "didn't appreciate my tone". So be it. This is what I have tired of, the state employee sense of entitlement. Yet I have to work with them - without the authority to make them work...

The baseball shatters the glass with ease. I need to be hitting my own line drives to move beyond my own limitations. I posted two different contractor positions on the local craigslist (here and here), but I need to sell my own abilities - to myself!

1 comment:

bj said...

I just discovered your other blog tonight.

I just wanted to say that I've worked in a lot of different places in my lifetime..bank, cotton buyers office, furniture store office, abstract and title company...
the WORST job I ever had in my life was when I worked for The Office on Aging, a government job. I never saw such lazy people in my entire life. I was taught to WORK..they must not have been taught anything. I didn't last long, moving on to something else.
Just wanted you to know that. :)