"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Monday, September 6, 2010

If I only had the authority

Authority - what a concept. I'd like to have some...I worked with a consumer in a discharge. The care plan person (from unnamed) had a plan approved with a discharge for a particular date. It was apparent that nothing would get in the way.

Given my use of a power chair I know ramps – and this consumer can live without it but would be better off if a ramp were installed. However, I deferred to the care planner – the one with the authority, so no ramp…

Let’s move ahead several months. I received a message from (unnamed). The consumer needs a ramp I am told – have you obtained the bids yet??

Given my schedule I have visited the consumer and owner to see how substantial the work might be, and it will be. However, more referrals were thrown at me (with ASAP written all over). So I haven’t yet contacted the list of approved contractors. Although the care planner contacted me the other day – can assistance be offered to get this going? Nice that I was asked. My 18-hour workweek will be exhausted by Wednesday - my workdays are very full.

I will contact the planner with the list of approved contractors (today is Labor Day, a day to labor, right?) and a list of days the owner will be available. Major changes ought to get the owner’s approval IMO…

I am of the opinion that the care planner needed to have the ramp specified in the beginning. Not to whine, and it was nice that I was asked for help, but I am waiting for the fallout should the bids not received soon. I have had it with finger pointing and blame, and would be happy to take any of that – if I only had the authority…

No comments: