"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Which yellow brick road to take?

The directions can be opaque, and never crystal clear. I am sure about not wanting to continue with the work that I do, yet I do continue to do so. 
The transition coordinating has its oddities and share of complications. You might think that I relish the challenge and have just enough ego to rise to said challenge - a conquering hero of sorts (a well-worn cliché). But it all seems tiring and a never ending challenge.
The cone as sundial - or is it a compass needle I am to follow?? Photo by Ralph
I am working with a person who was discharged recently. She has the PCA waiver, in which (unnamed) pays for the services of the assistants, while the discharged client acts as an employer. This is a tough task for many persons as in a nursing home, a dependency is fostered where someone shows up to do this or that for you. The longer one stays in a skilled nursing facility (the formal term in use that I would never use to describe these places...), the more dependent one becomes.
So this person has five PCAs in her schedule. Contrary to Independent Living preferred practice, I did a lot of the work for the consumer - advertising and locating potential, arranged for the interviews by the client and when approved, I created a schedule. Independent living really dictates that the client really do all the work - although the client needed help. so supergimp Ralph jumped into the hiring fray. 
The client can be demanding after being provided all services in the home. So far, one PCA has resigned, one more (I hear this in third person) may. Yet, I have to spring into action, the other day checking by geography potential recruits. Based on a phone call, and an e-mail of documents, there may be hope for another PCA. I hope...
Discharged clients who end up back in these facilities can make things difficult for the coordinators. As I work for a contractor the state (unnamed) cannot dictate  what constitutes an offense that can lead to dismissal. Yet, terminating my position could have a happy ending. I say could, because there is a lot of downside to being asked to leave, especially in a society that views the disabled as failures of sorts anyway. So failure is not an option. Yet, from many directions, outcomes are not guaranteed. So I ask as I have been, am I bold enough to resign and take my chances on income on my terms?

No comments: