"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Sunday, September 19, 2010

It’s not who you know, It’s what...













It has been a week since my last post. Yet I remain committed to a change while events keep me on the track I have been on and missing the switches that offer a spur line into change. The train metaphor is apt as the heavy locomotive moves along with inertia, and thus keeps on going despite the application of the brakes - what I need to at least consider.
Yet, during the past week , I see a bit of confidence in my approach, perhaps there is hope that I can use the bit of intellect that I possess. In this case, perhaps it is as (noted before) a disability consultant.
The non-profit I work for had its fund raiser this morning. Referred to as the 2010 Wheel-a-Thon, there were two obstacle courses whereby teams mounted manual wheelchairs, and team pledges were added up and team elapsed times were tallied for winners, and a cook-out lunch was provided. A fun time near Long Island Sound on a beautiful day.
Yet I had no real responsibilities for the day. I didn’t even receive the loud yellow Staff Member tee-shirt. So an observer I was. Yet there were two women who corralled me, perhaps as they had a few questions that a wheelchair driver could answer. Which was the case. It was an older mother and her younger daughter. The questions at first had to do with the power wheelchair for the husband of mom:
Q - How much did your (wheelchair) cost?
A - A basic power chair (Pride Jet) like mine is about $4000 new. I bought this chair like new through my company for $700
Q - Can you take your apart for travel
A - No, and I don’t think the units that can be broken down are ideal - you would probably get tired of trying to lift the heavy batteries every time you travel.
So, I asked a couple of questions that were pertinent: Does your husband have Medicare? If approved, it would be a 20% co-pay, so the $4000 would be a co-pay of $800
Next I asked if he could walk. Apparently he can stand and move for short distances with a walker - he needs a wheelchair. So then I mentioned that a van would be optimal. Would you like to see mine to get an idea? They would. I was able to explain how the wheelchair works well with this type of modified minivan. Except these are expensive. 
Q - Is there anybody that can help in getting one?
A - I suggested that Social Security maybe through Medicare, although I don’t think so. What about a used one? His wheelchair can be easily tied down in the van, so no battery lifting would be needed.
I suggested that they contact the place where my van was modified, Advanced Wheels in East Granby near the Hartford Airport. All they do is modify wheelchair vans, and ask for John, Christian or Jason to see if they have anything used or any ideas. I have their phone number committed to memory and the daughter took all the info down on her I-Phone (I am merely a satisfied customer of this company, not a paid shill. My 2008 Grand Caravan is the third vehicle I own that was modified by them, and they will get answers for you). They left satisfied with the answers.
The point I am trying to make is that I know these issues. Two people were apprehensive about their plight, and by my knowledge, experience and manner, I was able to take the edge off the women’s fears. Perhaps I was able to erase the answer we so often see - the easy to say words ‘No' or ‘Never' are often what we say. Hopefully I was able to allow them to see the possibilities, the harder to say ‘Maybe' or even ‘Yes' just might be the outcome. I spoke as naturally as I do, with a command of the facts and possibilities that were not considered. This is the third time in the past week where my knowledge of wheelchairs and egress answered questions that seemed daunting at first. I know what I speaketh, and can present it well.
A disability consultant? Why not??

1 comment: