"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Building a new career - why?

Construction zone. Photo by Ralph


Building my future is imperative, says I. Yet, attention as to what move to make is harder to ascertain. Perhaps I need to review the positives of the part-time position I hold. I am a Transition Coordinator (TC), working for a (non-profit) contractor to the state. I am to help people transition from nursing homes by setting up transition teams to work all the issues. 


Click to enlarge


To make sense of it, I am posting the formal job description (above). Admittedly, I have been unable to achieve the transition goals stated - given that I work 18 hours, the goals may not be achievable. 


What is not said anywhere in the description is the the TC really has most of the responsibilities - but zero real-world authority. Too many anecdotes to list in one post, but should any other party (state social workers, nursing facility personnel, other care plan agencies and state workers) fail, the TC is the point person for those failures. 


Working in the jet engine machined parts business in the past, all parts were carefully engineered to avoid a single point of failure. As a TC, I am considered that single point. (Never did I consider that similar design flaws existed between the aerospace and non-profit business models...)


I will be involved in a discharge tomorrow, Sept. 8, 14 and 27. To be involved in helping people being discharged from nursing facilities (places I do not care for much) can have its own rewards. I like the consumers for the most part, but the other players so often erode any satisfaction there may be.


Am I being negative? There is a probability of that. However, I am thinking beyond this position. I would be happier if all the players had the same sense of urgency about the discharge as the TC’s in this state all do. And they really do - alone, it seems.


I have to make a change!

1 comment:

Patti said...

It is time for a change. You can make it happen.