"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Driving a wedge?

I missed a couple of days, my part-time job requiring a bit of actual busy work, that took up blogging time :>(

Much of this time was spent driving to various sites in a far-flung territory. I am working with consumers in the Connecticut towns/cities of Middletown (40 miles from home and/or the office) and Norwalk (30 miles fro each) in some of the toughest traffic on earth, I-95 and the Merritt Parkway. It’s not that I am adverse to driving per se, but I have amassed 6,000 miles on my 2008 Grand Caravan wheelchair van since March. Even if the work miles are reimbursed, this van has to last at least as my previous Ford, which was donated to a non-profit with twelve years and 158,000 miles. I do not wish to wear out this vehicle at a 15K per year

The (unnamed) governmental entity I work with makes it hard to understand how anything gets done on that level. If (unnamed) personnel are to be at an important meeting, sometimes the meeting may have to be postponed because their local office doesn’t have a state car available to make the trip. No car available? Surely not their own…I wouldn’t mind having a company car with other entities (taxpayers) are paying me to drive. I utilize my employer’s general liability when on the job. I thought everyone else did.

No state car available. Important people missing events because no car is available? That is irritating.

Not to knock government, but it seems that process matters most - not necessarily outcomes. Perhaps not in reality, but appearances speak quite loudly…

1 comment:

Patti said...

What the? they can't drive their own cars?