"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Monday, August 2, 2010

The minimum vs. the unlimited


The world of my disability can be a frustrating one. Not for the usual items of wheelchair access, etc. That is the norm, and expected (really). 
 
Instead, it is the oddities of income vs. benefits. I receive SSDI (Social Security Disability Income). You can make only a certain amount of money after my (part-time) minus approved impairment related work expenses (IWRE). I won’t state the amounts, but both are pretty low. So I currently work 18 hours per week, which in base income is higher than allowed but with allowable commuting expenses, prescriptions, wheelchair repairs and so on.

Yet as I contemplate a change in sources of income, I have the conundrum many others have: do I limit my horizons and live on less or dream big.

If my current job ended today, to meet the total compensation (work + SSDI) I currently enjoy (?), I really only need to earn a modest amount. The small sum makes the idea of a move more appealing. Yet, could I use the abilities I have to expand into larger sums that may be possible and forego the SSDI completely?

How much is too much – or not enough? Disabilities force one to dance differently. I should be able to work for myself if a little bit is what I need at a minimum. But to think and dream big requires me to start smaller and work up from there. Right?

No comments: