"Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects..." Captain Renault, Casablanca

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Symbiotic Relationship

The look of love is not there - I do not wish to continue in my present position for one day longer than necessary. 


Yes, I am working on consumer cases that should be completed no later than 15 September. I like (most of) the consumers, but have had it with most of the personnel of the (unnamed) state agency that provides the funding for me.


It seems to be a symbiotic relationship - I am not working well with them and they seem to have it in for me. There is an audit and site review on Tuesday, and I expect (unnamed) to have big issues with my methodology of keeping electronic records - which is B.S., but hey - the (unnamed) is paying the bills, and their opinion will matter most, factual or otherwise.


Yet, this is not a complaint - the events are compelling me to consider all my options, and perhaps I have more than fewer options than I think. as to income. My organization requests four weeks notice for leaving the position, and that is fair. Do I have the courage to make the switch? Of course, my position could be axed, too, which is the simplest solution for me... 


The downside is that I probably would be cutting most ties to the non-profit I work for. I have a past with them, being a board member as Secretary/Treasurer (1998-2001) and President (2001-2004). I like the employees, and hate to lose that. 


So the confusion is thus: Do I give up on the past by choice (and move ahead into an uncertain future), or wait for the likely and have the position defunded (while also moving out into that uncertain future). Courage is easy to grasp as a concept, but harder to implement...

2 comments:

Linda said...

You're so right about courage being easy to grasp as a concept but beyond that, it gets tricky.

I have trouble making monumental decisions these days so find myself making lists of Pro's and Con's and then trying to see which ends up weighing out better. It doesn't always work but for me, writing things down makes them more concrete and easier to deal with.

No matter what choice you make, though, good luck to you and I'm sure it will be the wise one!

LAC said...

I am sure a decision like this is never easy. Trust in God's plan and know that even if it doesn't work out, you'll know in your heart that you tried. If you don't try, you'll never know. Best wishes! I hope to continue to follow your new blog.